Teaching Chinese as a Second Language: Vocabulary Acquisition and Instruction by Helen Shen is an exceptional resource for instructors of Chinese. The resource was developed by Professor Helen Shen of the University of Iowa and published by Peking University. Additional works by Shen are available on Amazon.
The book consists of eight chapters and covers basic and advanced knowledge of Chinese teaching. It includes information about Chinese characters,radicals,words,and vocabulary and then talks about orthographic knowledge acquisition and instruction. It also deals with cognitive and psychoIinguistic models for Chinese vocabulary acquisition, and provides many frameworks for CFL vocabulary instruction.
Video Companion Software
The video companion software provides excellent teachings samples for illustrating various instructional methods and techniques.
Software Installation Instructions
The StarForce Video Player is required to view the companion videos. It is located on the installation CD/DVD. Follow these instructions to install the player and view the videos.
- Insert the installation disc.
- Double click on the StarForce Video Player .exe file.
- An initial message will indicate “Checking disc…”
- You’ll be asked if you want to install a necessary driver. Click Yes.
- You’ll be asked to provide the Disc Key. This is printed along the top of the disc. Enter the key and then click Next.
- You may get an error message indicating that emulation software is running.
- Click Retry. If that doesn’t help, try restarting the computer. Make sure you are using an Administrator account on the computer. Try another disc. Eventually you should end up with a video menu similar to the one below.